CHANGSHA MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
Changsha Medical University (CSMU) was founded by the famous educator Mr. He Bin sheng. It is situated in Changsha, capital of Hunan Province. CSMU is under the jurisdiction of Hunan People's Government and the professional guidance of the Department of Public Health of the government.
CSMU was founded in 1989. It is recognized by WHO (World Health Organization). Students are eligible to appear in the Screening Test USMLE, PLAB, Australian Medical Council, PMDC, MCI, Nepal Medical Council and all of the African Medical Council.
World Ranking: 962
Year of Commencement of English Medium : 2008
Ranking in China: 382
Number of International Students : 503
Entry Requirements : Yes
Affiliated Hospitals： 9
Enrollment Quota : 150
CSMU has two campuses:
1: Changsha Campus (new Campus)
2: Hengyang Campus (Old Campus)
Changsha Campus is located in Changsha, capital city of Hunan and has an area of over 1260 mu (84 hectares), with general assets of 2.3 billion Yuan (RMB). The floorage covers 565 thousand square meters.
Hengyang campus is located in Hengyang City, in the western suburbs, close to the scenic West Lake Park and Shek Kwu Park. Campus has an area of 200 mu, building area of 30,000 square meters, more than 40 million Yuan worth of teaching facilities
- ChangshaMedicalUniversity, is a key institute under the administration of both the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health, China.
- It is recognized as higher education institution by the WHO and Educational Council for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- It is authorized to enroll international students sponsored by Chinese government scholarship and other types of scholarship.
- Higher results in USMLE, MCI and other licensing examinations
- Remarkable lectures given by world-widely notable medical scholars and excellent doctors
- Being equipped wiht nice academic environment and advanced teaching facilities.
- Every year we will invite many American experts come to give us lectures.
CSMU offers 16 specialties for undergraduates and 8 for junior college students。There are more than 20,000 Chinese and international students studying at CSMU at present.
- Clinical Medicine (M.B.B.S) (English Medium)
- Stomatology (B.D.S)
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Medical cosmetology
- Public Health
- Pharmaceutical preparations
- Traditional Chinese Medical Science (TCM)
- Moxibustion & Tuina
- Medical Imaging
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Computer Science and Technology
The curriculum system in Changsha Medical University has undertaken reform since 2009. The teaching schedule is based on the American USMLE syllabus, combining theory and practice instead of the former teaching mode: learn theory firstly then practice. The study duration is 6 years, including 1 year of internship in hospital.
Human Anatomy, Histology & Embryology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Diagnosis, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Neurology, Community Medicine, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation Medicine, Emergency Medicine, etc.Back to Top ▲
Internship and Career
The internship for MBBS program students is 1 year (at least 48 weeks). In general, international students would like to do the internship in China. However, if students want to do the internship in other country, CSMU needs to do a qualification evaluation on the hospital which student chooses. Students should choose a hospital recognized by WHO and complete the required internship weeks and content. An internship certificate is also necessary.
And, students have to take the final examination on Theory Test and Clinical Evaluation in CSMU.
After obtaining MBBS Degree, the graduates can apply to take the medical licensing examination in the medical council in order to get registered and practice medicine. According to the regulations in different countries, the students may need to do the degree accreditation first. A MBBS degree holder can find jobs in government as well as private hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities. Except this, one can also start his own clinic or pursue study for master’s degree.
MBBS Degree: On completing the requirements of the teaching program and passing the graduation examinations successfully, international medical undergraduates will be granted a graduation certificate and conferred a medical degree by the CSMU, if they meet the degree regulations of the university. The English copy of the degree will state MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
CSMU has more than 1100 teachers, of which 439 are with associate or full professor’s academic titles and 6 are from USA, UK and Netherlands. CSMU has one constructing program of provincial level key discipline, one demonstration laboratory at the provincial level, 2 key specialties at the provincial level, 2 provincial level excellent courses and 4 qualified laboratories for foundation courses at the provincial level. CSMU was granted as a supporting institution for National Natural Science Foundation and National Social Science Foundation projects in 2008.
The library has 1470000 books and periodicals, with electronic reading rooms. A special reading room is well equipped for the international students, so that they can read original English newspapers, books and periodicals. The school possesses a rich reserve of books. It has textbooks and reference materials for medical sciences in English medium.
Classrooms are equipped with multimedia. Teachers for international students are highly qualified professors. There are 100% international teachers teaching English Medium MBBS to international students.
A state of the art laboratory equipped with all the medical instruments and hundreds of cadavers provide a rare opportunity for the students to learn and experiment
There is separate hostel for boys and girls
Well-appointed hostels with fully furnished Air-conditioned rooms made for international students. Rooms are furnished with beds, TV, study tables, internet access, and air conditioning
The hostels are given good protection by security agencies and police booths in the University
Halal Food is available. Muslim hotels are available in front of CSMU main gate. Students can choose to take their Halal meals at the canteen. For international and local students, breakfast, lunch, supper and all kinds of snacks are available at very reasonable cost.
CSMU has extensive clinical teaching equipment and full sets of basic facilities. It has 9 affiliated general hospitals, 81 teaching hospitals, 20 community hospitals and including 1 Grade III-A and 4 Grade II-A polyclinics with 2500 beds. More than 60 million Yuan (RMB) has been invested in modern teaching facilities, which ensure that all the basic experiments the medical teaching requires can be conducted effectively. Multi-media are available for almost all specialties.
- First Affiliated Hospital of Changsha Medical University
- Hunan Province Children's Hospital
- The Second People's Hospital of Xiangtan City
- Zhuzhou City People's Hospital
- The Second People's Hospital of Zhuzhou City
- Yueyang Hospital
- Shimen County People's Hospital
- Wangcheng County People's Hospital
- Ningxiang County People's Hospital
Changsha is the capital city of Hunan, a province of south-central China, located on the lower reaches of Xiang river, a branch of the Yangtze River. Its municipality covers an area of 11,819 sq. kilometers and has a population of 6,017,600 (2003 intercensal estimate), the urbanized area has around 2.7 million people.
Changsha was important from the time of the Qin dynasty (221–207 BC). In AD 750–1100 Changsha was an important commercial city, and its population increased greatly. Under the Qing dynasty, from 1664, it was the capital of Hunan province, and it was a major rice market. It was besieged during the Taiping Rebellion but never fell. Changsha was the site of Mao Zedong's conversion to communism. It was the scene of major battles in the Sino-Japanese War of 1937–45 and was briefly occupied by the Japanese. Rebuilt since 1949, the city is now a major port and a commercial and industrial center.
Changsha experiences a humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cfa), with annual average temperature being 17.6 °C (63.7 °F), with a mean of 5.2 °C (41.4 °F) in January and 29.5 °C (85.1 °F). Average annual precipitation is 1,330 millimetres (52.4 in), and the yearly frost-free period is 275 days.
The four seasons are distinct. The summers are long and hot, with heavy rainfall, and autumn is comfortable with abundant sunlight. Winter is comparatively dry (but overcast) and rather brief, but cold snaps occur with temperatures occasionally dropping below
Changsha is well connected by roads, river, rail, and air transportation modes, and is a regional hub for industrial, tourist, and service sectors.
- Public Transport: The city's public transportation system consists of an extensive bus network with over a hundred lines as well as taxis.
- Roads: National Highways 107 and 319, as well as Changsha-Zhuzhou-Xiangtan Express Way connect the Changsha metro area nationally. There are three main bus terminals in Changsha: South Station, East Station and West Station, dispatching long- and short-haul trips to cities within and outside Hunan Province.
- River: Changsha is surrounded by major rivers, including the Xiangjiang, the Liuyanghe, and the Laodaohe. Ships transport mainly goods from Xianing port located in North Changsha domesticly and internationally.
- Rail: Changsha Railway Station
- Changsha South Railway Station. High Speed G-Train (393km/hr).
- Air: Changsha Huanghua International Airport is a regional hub for China Southern Airlines, which serves major cities in China, including Hong Kong. Other major airlines also provide daily service between Changsha and other domestic and international destinations.The airport provides direct flights to 45 major cities such as HongKong, Bangkok, Seoul, Pusan, Osaka and etc.
- Back to Top ▲
- Entry Requirements
- 18 - 30 years old.
- High school graduate or above, or have passed Grade Twelve (10+2)/FSc./A Level/WAEC or equivalent.
- With an average score of 60%.